We believe in human milk for human babies. Breastmilk provides a lifetime of benefits for both mama and baby. Though breastfeeding is natural, we recognize that breastfeeding isn’t always easy. Our expert team of IBCLCs (International Board Certified Lactation Counselors) and CBS (Certified Breastfeeding Specialist) will help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to be successful in your breastfeeding journey.
The Essex Milk Lab
The Essex Milk Lab is open in our East Orange office on Tuesdays and Thursdays and by appointment. In our office, our expert lactation staff will discuss your breastfeeding goals and help you establish a care plan to help you reach your goals.
- Once you have completed a support request, one of our skilled lactation staff will contact you to set up a time for an appointment. We respond to all requests within 24 business hours.
- Appointment are offered virtually or in person in our East orange office. We recommend in person visits when possible as they allow us to complete an exam on both you and the baby.
- Once your appointment is scheduled, you will be given a link to register in our documentation system Mahmee. From there there will be some online forms to complete before your first appointment. These forms will help us to get to know you and your baby’s breastfeeding journey better.
- During your visit you will receive a comprehensive lactation assessment and feeding observation. We recommend not feeding the baby too much before your visit to so that we can observe the feeding. You can expect a visit to last about 60 mins.
- Once the visit has been completed we will develop a customized feeding plan for you and your baby to work on.
- Each client will be assigned a breastfeeding coach to check on their progress at home. You may call or text your coach for breastfeeding support. Coaching support is available Mon-Friday from 9am to 6pm.
- Your baby! If you are having a breastfeeding concern, you definitely want to bring your baby with you so that we can observe the feeding.
- Your pump! We also provide instructions on pump use and will do a flange fitting to help you maximize milk production. Bring you pump as well as all the attachments that come with it.
At PHEI, we are committed to making our services accessible to as many Black mamas as possible. While our full rate for a 90 minute session is $250, we also offer a sliding scale fees
We do not ask for proof of income or other documentation of financial hardship, but we do ask that you pay the highest rate that you can afford based on your financial circumstances. This allows us to provide services to a wider range of individuals in the community while also still compensating our staff fairly in accordance with their education and training.
Below are our sliding scale prices for our lactation services.
- I can contribute 100% of the total cost ($250)
- I can contribute 75% of the total cost ($185)
- I can contribute 50% of the total cost ($125)
- I can contribute 25% of the cost ($60)
- I can contribute 10% of the total cost ($25)
- I need of a full scholarship